Kayaking on the Chesapeake

Kayaking on the Chesapeake
Finishing up 35 miles of kayaking in September 2011

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Less than 5 months away...

So, as of the beginning of October, I have completed some tortuous events.  I really don't know what to expect when I get to Chile on March 1st.  The altitude scares me most.  I've never been above 6,000' of elevation and San Pedro de Atacama will be pushing 10,000'!  But, I've come to the conclusion that, if I can beat myself up physically over the next 5 months, my cardiovascular system should be able to deal with the decrease in oxygen.  Fingers crossed, at least! 

I also have been exploring different electrolyte replacement strategies, high calorie foods, endurance enhancing drinks, and overall hydration regimens.  After spending many days & nights on the Appalachian Trail over the last 3 years, I feel pretty comfortable with a lot of these things.  Cramping has been a concern in the past, but I think I've remedied that. 

I guess now it's just a matter of long-distance, multi-hour endurance races to prepare.  Unfortunately, it's turning cold in Virginia so my training environment will be a little different than the warm/hot desert in Chile. 

So far in September, I've pushed myself through 35 miles of kayaking, hundreds of miles of cycling, and well over a hundred miles of hiking/trekking. Now I'm gearing up for 2 marathons, 30+ miles of hiking, and a 50-mile trail run over the next 10 weeks. 

More to come... But, I'm glad to be blogging.  Comments & suggestions are welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment